I’ll tell you where it went… it’s sitting in El Coco, Costa Rica. While it only took up 9 days of the past month, I blame it entirely for my lack of posting. If you are looking for a vacation that is both relaxing and full of activities, look no further than Costa Rica.
Right now, it is their dry season and you can easily sit in the sun all day long. If you can’t stand to sit and soak it up for a week straight, rent a car and head to Arenal for a couple of days. There you can do just about anything from zip lining to taking an evening tour to view the nocturnal animals. I was truly impressed by how much there was to do and see how happy the people of Costa Rica are to show off their home.
A few recommendations:
1. Wave Expeditions – While the company itself is average, our guide, Alex is their secret weapon. If you are white water rafting, I highly recommend Alex as your guide. His knowledge of the river is beyond impressive and you will have more fun than any other raft you’re with. I promise.
2. Ginger Restaurant – What a spectacular find in a small town. We went here for our last meal and it is sure to be remembered. It is tapas-style so the portions are small but packed with flavor and creativity. This type of flavor is not common in Costa Rica but stands out as one of the best meals we had.
3. Tamarindo Beach– The beach was beautiful with loads of seashells. We found a great soda near the beach to frequent for drinks and appetizers. (I can’t remember the name but it had the best nachos I have ever had in my life.)
4. Vegetable Sauce – I’m still not 100% sure exactly what this stuff is, but I fell in love with it while in Costa Rica. I found the following article about it and discovered I am not the only one. I should also mention I’m pretty glad I bought a couple of bottles to bring home to satisfy my craving.
5. Sodas– The equivalent of a small cafe. Typically not the most eye pleasing establishment but they are a great way to enjoy local cuisine at a ridiculously cheap price. Please be sure to go to at least one, if not a couple during your time. Wash it all down with an ice cold Imperial light too.
Feel free to contact me for any additional questions or recommendations.