Things you do at 31 you didn’t do at 21:
1. Drink wine.
2. Thouroughly enjoy a cheese themed pot luck.
Oh the joys of growing up and GULP… becoming an adult.
Yes, today is my birthday. The day normal people a day over 25 (or so) dread. However, due to the nature of 30, I am welcoming 31 with OPEN. ARMS. To put it lightly, the big dirty thirty was dirtier than I care to admit. And not just because I did my first mud run. (I physically swam through mud.) Thirty was kind of rude. In an “I’m not so sure we should be friends” sort of way.
Currently, 30 and I are not on speaking terms.
Thirty one and I are friends by default. As my sister puts it, I am embracing uncertainty. And with that uncertainty comes things I didn’t do before. Like run. The funny thing is, I was a sprinter back in the day. But that never over 200 yards. So running anything over 28 seconds is kind of a big deal in my book.
Earlier this summer, I spectated the Tough Mudder. To be honest, I’ve never been so jealous. So when the opportunity arose, I jumped on the Warrior Dash. I began training. Running daily. And fell in love. I leave work looking forward to my daily run (MUCH over 200 yards). And last Saturday I felt a rush I haven’t felt since I was 16.
I should also mention, I got to do this with my best friend. Yup. The one who I’d kung-fu-fight for. Yeah… 31 is going to be good.
Apple Cream Cheese Bars
recipe from my mom
2 packages crescent rolls
3 bricks cream cheese
1 egg, separated
1 tsp vanilla
¾ cup sugar
4 granny smith apples
½ cup chopped pecans
½ cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
- Spray the bottom of a pan (13×9 or so) with cooking spray and line one package of the crescent rolls along the bottom. Stretch and press to allow the rolls to go ½ an inch up the side.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cream cheese, 1 cup of sugar, egg yolk and vanilla.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over the rolls.
- Peel, core and slice the apples. Spread over the cream cheese mixture.
- Mix the pecans, ½ cup sugar and 2 tsp of cinnamon for the topping.
- Sprinkle with a bit of the cinnamon and sugar from the topping mixture.
- Stretch the remaining package of crescent rolls over the apples.
- Beat egg white and brush over crescent rolls.
- Sprinkle with topping.
- Bake at 350° for approximately 35 minutes.
Oh yeah.. and here is just how dirrty we got….